Currently available through:
- Ave Maria Press (80% off as of March 30, 2017 — Just $4!)
- Amazon (read sample pages)
- See below for a complete list of bookstores carrying River of Grace.
- River of Grace Press Release
Music CD and Audio Book
River of Grace is accompanied by a music CD featuring a song for each chapter.
- You can purchase the CD here.
- Listen to samples including portions of the audio book available on Amazon through Audible.com
Susan Bailey reveals in this personal and moving narrative how several major losses helped her rediscover creativity and faith. Filled with powerful insights on the presence and action of grace–in the Mass and sacraments, in nature, and even in grief–River of Grace guides readers to strengthen their faith during tough times and discover their own hidden gifts.
In just a few years’ time, Bailey experienced one challenge after another: the deaths of her father and mother, financial issues and the loss of her singing voice.
Using the rich imagery of a river of grace, Bailey describes her journey of transformation beginning with an encounter with favorite author Louisa May Alcott, whose writing on suffering and death offered consolation; that encounter led to her discovery of a late in life vocation as a writer.
Bailey weaves in her Catholic faith, relating how her devotion to the Eucharist inspired her to see Christ’s presence in her life and helped her to trust again.
Each chapter relates Bailey’s experiences of loss and growth and features original activities and personal rituals that include everything from Joni Mitchell music videos and hot baths to imagery and uncooked spaghetti. These inspirational tools guide readers to reflect on their own experiences. Prayers and poetry are found throughout the book and a set of insightful reflection questions are placed at the end of each chapter.
In this short video, Susan explains
the premise of River of Grace:
Available through these bookstores
- Alban Books, UK
- Garratt Publishing, Australia
- Pauline Book & Media, US locations
- Abundant Graces, Bethlehem, PA
- Benedict Inn Retreat and Conference Center, Beech Grove, IN
- Boucher’s Good Books & Gifts, Worcester, MA
- Cathedral Church Supplies, San Antonio, TX
- Catholic Supply of St Louis, St Louis, MO
- Cotter Church Supplies, Los Angeles, CA
- Episcopal Bookstore, Seattle, WA
- Graymoor Book & Gift Center, Garrison, NY
- Henninger’s Inc., Brookpark, OH
- Hurley’s Religious Goods, Fargo, ND
- I Donnelly Company, Inc., Kansas City, MO
- Leaflet Missal Company, Saint Paul, MN
- Oblate Grotto Store, San Antonio, TX
- Reilly’s Church Supply, Boise, ID
- Religious Goods Center, Laredo, TX
- Sacco Company, Houston, TX
- Shrine of Our Lady, Manorville, NY
- St Jude Shop, Havertown, PA
- St Mary’s Bookstore, Nashville, TN
- Upper Room, Dyersville, IA
- Veritas Catholic Books & Gifts, Houston, TX
Sampling of Amazon 5-star reviews
“Susan Bailey shares about the trials and triumphs in her life in her new book River of Grace. She tells how God’s mercy has shown her a greater kind of essence, once she let herself glide along with His unending grace.
A running theme that you learn all throughout this book is how creativity and spirituality go together, hand in hand. Susan illustrates this time and again. Susan pauses to personalize the reading and ask you how you can create new life in your surroundings as you allow the river of grace to run through you. In each chapter, she takes time (and allows you to take time) to reflect and focus on your emotions, thoughts, and defining events in your own life. If you take a few moments to perform the suggested activities, and allow creativity to lead the way, you will be blessed with fresh insight and positivity.
For people struggling with grief, this book shows that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Freely, the author doles out the pain she encountered on the deaths of her parents, and how greatly her life changed under those circumstances. She then dispenses the successful tools and mental thought process behind obtaining victory over death. Triumph is available to anyone! This is not a story of how to get over grief fast — but how to deal with it and give your afflictions to the Almighty. You will get through your time of sorrow, and when the grief cycle has ran its course, you will become a more complete person.”
– Tarissa, In the Bookcase blog
“You don’t have to be Catholic to love this book. There is warmth and wisdom here for everyone who opens it, whether they are questioning their spiritual faith, struggling with personal loss, attempting to channel their creativity, or simply trying to make sense of a world that too often threatens to drive us all crazy.
Through the pages of River Of Grace, Susan Bailey provides compassionate understanding of the day-to-day struggles of all of us, along with some gentle advice, a healthy dollop of encouragement for the future, and a series of practical exercises for spiritual fulfillment.
Buy this book for yourself. Then buy another copy and give it to a friend. You can be sure she’ll thank you.”
– Gabrielle Donnelly, author of The Little Women Letters
“In this EXCEPTIONALLY well-written book, Susan Bailey shares some of her most challenging moments and shows others how to find the grace hidden in life’s difficulties. This book inspires Christians to pursue the paths of authentic faith amid the currents and seasons of life. The “flow lessons” that accompany each chapter provide readers with simple, hands-on, experiences that move the author’s reflections into concrete and practical application. With both eloquence and humility, what River of Grace offers is a deeper answer to personal struggle, and a healthier alternative to the fake-it-til-you-make-it mentality. Above all, this is a book that gives hope.”
– Jaymie Stuart Wolfe, author of Adoption: Room for One More and The Wonder Within
“Susan Bailey has faced her fair share of challenges and “difficult times” and yet she’s emerged not only a survivor, but also even stronger in her spiritual commitment and joy. In this book, learn what made the difference for Susan in her spiritual journey, but even more so how to face your own struggles with a faith that will renew and support you. A perfect gift for any friend or loved one facing a time of loss or difficulty, or for yourself when you need the companionship of a trusted friend. The “Flow Lessons” contained in this book are the perfect tools to help you more fully rely on God’s love in your life. Highly recommend!”
– Lisa Hendey, Author of The Grace of Yes